Sunday, October 2

Online Registration

Today I finally completed the online registration for the university - something I've been dreading for since we've been told that it has to be done. I'm not the best person when it comes to completing any weird internet-based procedures, I always manage to either delete everything that I've been meticulously inputting for hours by accidentally moving a mouse and thoughtlessly clicking on something, or in the end forget to click a special little button that confirms/saves/starts/whatever-it-does, which results in more or less the same effect = unnecessary stress and wasted time. (Recently my 恋人, koibito, special person, got me some program that is retrieving the lost input information, it's called Lazarus and it really helpful, if you have the same problem.)

And this registration was additionally all in Japanese! Even my rikaichan (the Japanese dictionary add-on to Firefox; if you're studying Japanese and by any chance not have it, please consider getting it, it's a life saver! you can get it here: http://rikaichan.mozdev.org/) was sweating with stress after seeing the student manual with details on how to do that:

The student manual in its full glory (A3 format, including all the instructions for registering and the entire timetable for 2011, spring and autumn semester, with already decided classrooms and teachers and descriptions of the courses... what a far cry from the problematic timetable issue in Polish schools, which ALWAYS end up full of clashes anyway!)
The step-by-step guide to the online registration (with pictures, thank goodness)

The list of classes for foreign students (obligatory and faculty)

But I was firm and I managed (or so I think...) Plus I didn't have much choice, as the deadline for online registration is tomorrow 8 pm. It wasn't that bad, once I understood what to click in what order, and how to add subjects. Oh, and after I consulted with my rikaichan which button is safe to click, because every single button there was full of the weirdest possible kanji combinations I've ever seen.

As exchange students, we are obliged to take 10 units of Japanese per term (10 x 1.5h= 15hrs/week), and then a minimum of 5 units extra classes. I chose 7 classes worth 9 units together, as I figured that I don't have anything better to do in that time anyway, I could as well attend some extra classes. That gives 7 x 1.5 hrs = 10.5hrs/week. Plus part time job, 3 hours a week. That means that in the long term I'm going to be pretty tired, but hey, that's what the year abroad is for, right?

To make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment